All Speed Tips
Ask The PC Expert
Subscribe via Email
Subscribe via RSS
Learn To Repair PCs With The Right Course
Buying a Refurbished PC
How to Optimize Droid Razr Battery
Detect and Repair Disk Errors
As you use your hard drive, it can develop bad sectors. Bad sectors slow down hard disk performance and sometimes make data writing difficult, or even impossible. The Error Checking utility scans the hard drive for bad sectors, and scans for file system errors to see whether certain files or folders are misplaced. Repairing these bad sectors can speed up the performance of your hard drive which will help your computer's overall speed. Microsoft recommends running this utility weekly. I rarely have found bad sectors on a hard drive. Realistically, I would just run this utility whenever you run a disk defrag.
To run the Windows Error Checking utility:
- Close all open files and folders.
- Click Start -> My Computer.
- In the My Computer window, right-click the hard drive that you want to search for bad sectors, and click Properties.
- In the Properties box, click the Tools tab.
- Click the "Check Now" button.
- In the Check Disk dialog box, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
- Make sure to repair any bad sectors if prompted.
If you enjoyed this post, please or
Web site and all contents © Copyright ComputerTooSlow.com 2012, All rights reserved.